25 March 2018


The Wisdom Prayer





The world we live in is a veritable minefield of foolishness. There are so many foolish ideas and foolish choices that are like explosive devices on a battlefield. 

But, unlike with a common explosive mine, we are often inclined to willingly step into foolishness, not fully realizing the ramifications of our actions. The damage to oneself (not to mention the effect on those beyond us) is so often not experienced immediately. 

In Matthew 10:16 Jesus uses another analogy (explosive mines were not yet invented). He told his apostles that he was sending them out into the world "as sheep in the midst of wolves." He instructed them to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves." That admonition was surely not just for 12 apostles, but for all followers of Jesus Christ. 

Foolish ideas are like hungry wolves, looking for another meal.



That being the case, the Apostle James, instructs Believers as follows (James 1:5-6):

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

It's a simple thing to ask God for wisdom. I do it daily. The following prayer (by anonymous) resonates with my theological beliefs and my own pursuit of wisdom. 

Lord God Almighty, 
Creator of heaven and earth,
I come before you now, as your child, 
Seeking your guidance and direction.  
Your Word says that if anyone lacks wisdom, 
Let him ask of you, and you will freely give it.
So I'm asking you now for wisdom.
Not wisdom to feed my pride. 
Not wisdom to feed my selfish desires.
Not wisdom to feed my bank account.
Not wisdom to earn the praises of men.
But wisdom to understand what is right, and true,
And pleasing in your sight.
Then I ask for the courage and conviction
To act on that wisdom, and to glorify you in so doing.
In Jesus' name I ask this, believing. 
And I thank you.
Amen.



2 comments: