16 March 2018


In Praise Of
The Splinter Liberator



Hardly a week goes by that I'm not digging one or more "splinters" of some sort out of my hands. Sharp bits from wood, metal or plants often require considerable self-surgery to find and extract. As is so often the case, having the right tool for the job makes a big difference.

With that in mind, a few years back, I bought the splinter liberator you see above. The tool is made of stainless steel. The end is triangular in cross section, and tapers to a sharp point.

I didn't totally understand what was so great about the liberator when I bought it. But the first time I used it, I immediately loved it. After years of probing and digging for splinters with a pin, I had found a far more effective instrument.

When not in use, the end unscrews from the handle. Then you place the point down into the hollow handle and screw it tight. It's an ideal storage solution.

The splinter liberator I purchased is a V96-400, made in Pakistan. It's not a high-quality medical instrument, but it has been entirely adequate for my needs. 

I don't remember where I got my splinter liberator, but This Amazon Link has a splinter liberator that looks similar. It actually looks like a better tool because it has another instrument end. And the price is reasonable.

Another option for splinter removal is to use epsom salts. I recently learned about this amazing method.  This Link has all the details. 




5 comments:

  1. And here I thought you were going to sing the praises of Prid! That's good stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't know about epsom salts, it sounds like you haven't read Do's and Don'ts of Yesteryear. You should seek it out--it's right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of soaking in Epsom salts to draw out toxins. But putting epson salt crystals directly on skin, over where a sliver is, to draw it out, is new to me. I'll look up the book. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I now see it is an Eric Sloan book. I thought the title sounded familiar. It's available online to read for free.

      Delete